Pregnancy is a different feeling for woman. We cannot just explain about it unless we experience it and also woman undergoes lot of physical and mental changes during pregnancy. One among the problems that are commonly seen among pregnant women is constipation. Many times pregnant women feel bad to discuss about this issues. The hormone that relaxes the muscle to support pregnancy using progesterone hormone the digestive muscles are also affected and causes constipation. As the baby grows intestine are affected causing constipation. Here are we with some home remedies to overcome constipation during pregnancy.
1.Eat High Fiber Foods
Having high fiber foods 25 to 30 grams in a diet regularly will move indigestive food to digestive track so, it is important for all to consume fiber rich foods, for pregnant woman it is more important. Flax seeds, almonds, prunes. figs, banana, fruits and vegetables are all good to avoid constipation. We can also take psyllium (metamucil), methylcellulose (citrucel) or polyethylene glycol 3350 (miralax) tablets, as a supplement if we are not able to take proper food due to vomiting with proper consultation from doctor and eating a bowl of organic oat bran with strawberries can also help.
2. Watermelon Seed Tea
Watermelon seeds are boiled in water to make a tea. This is an old remedy for pregnant woman suffering from constipation. Since they are rich in water content they move the food through the bowels. Eating fruits is also helpful.Infant kidney gets kick started with the watermelon seed tea.
3. Magnesium supplement
Magnesium supplement taken in high dose is recommended for constipation affected pregnant woman. The pregnant woman suffering out for two three days of constipation can even be served.
Chamomile has been used since centuries. Sipping chamomile tea is good relaxer of intestine track. There are untested rumors that it can cause miscarriage so it is recommended only 2 cups a day not more than that is good. Chamomile also has a calming effect.
5. Yogic movements
Some yogic pose are taught to pregnant women for giving birth and that postures help to prevent constipation. Keeping the knees at 90 degree angle is the posture that helps to relieve from constipation the posture is otherwise known as wind relieving pose, helps in removing both gas and undigested food from the intestine. Some yogic pose also supports giving birth to child.
6. Drink of plenty of water
Drinking water is good for healthy routine. It is recommended to have 10-8 ounces of water every day. If we have gas it may cause pain or bloating leading to irritable bowl syndrome (IBS). We may also have some juices which is low in gas and bloating causing sugar called FODMAPs. Some such juice with low FODMAPare cranberry, grape, pineapple and orange.
7. Get Moving Do Exercise
Physical activity and exercise keeps our body physically and emotionally fit and also prevents constipation and speed up digestion. Exercise for about 30 minutes daily will energise a body but it is strongly recommended to have a proper advice from obstetrician before starting any exercise regime during pregnancy.
8. Stool Softener
Docusate (colace), a stool softener recommended by doctors to moisten the stool and allows proper regular passage of stool. Having Docusate for about 50 to 100 mg two times everyday throughout their pregnancy is good than using any other stimulating laxatives which can cause complication during pregnancy. Sennosides (EX-LAX, Senokot) is a kind of stimulating laxatives that is complicates pregnancy.
9. Remove stress, Breathe calm
When we are in stress or anxiety we breathe fast that cause upper abdominal gas, bloating and bleaching. So, it is good to be calm try relaxing by deep breathing whenever we are able to be quite for some time. Take things as it is and accept it to be the same and pass on the chores to others. We can just eliminate as many stress as we can from our life. Have practice of listening to some good music which can help in peace and calm.
10. Daily Diet for pregnancy constipation remedy
It is recommended to have around 2600 calories daily for pregnant and nursing mother to prevent constipation. The diet must have a right amount of protein, several cups of cooked or raw vegetables and fruits. A good quality of diary or its supplement on its absence.
- Around 6 tablespoons of saturated fats such as virgin coconut oil, butter, animal fats.
- Around 4 tablespoons of monounsaturated oil such avocado, olive oil, nuts, nut oil.
- Around 2 tablespoons of polyunsaturated oils such as cod liver oil, flax oil, evening primrose oil, black currant oil or borage oil.
- Using whole grain food and flours made of whole grains.
- All fruits, veggies with the skin is best as the skin of them are rich in vitamins, like apple and carrot, potatoes those fruits and veggies have fibres in the their skin.
Probiotic are bacteria that can help digestive system. Some of the natural probiotic supplement are natural yoghurt, kefir, kombucha, Lacto fermented pickles, relishes, saucer kaurt.
11. Some tips to help beat constipation in pregnancy
- A glass of warm water with lemon when get up from bed.
- Before each meal take a tablespoon of coconut or oil to soften the stool.
- Have a long walk or repetitive walk near the toilet.
- Before sleep have a glass of water or herbal tea with a tablespoon of psyllium husks, which regulates the digestive tract by softening the stool.
- Everyday have a tablespoon of molasses and raw honey.
- Daily have a probiotic in your diet.
- Use toilet whenever it is necessary do not hesitate to go.
- To ease the stool passing apply some organic oil in the bottom area.
- Take half a cup of water along with half a cup of dried fruits such as apricots or prunes, stew it on the stove till the dry fruits are softened. Mash them drink whole mixture in empty stomach in the morning.