The hormone progesterone,which is a muscle relaxant relaxes muscles during pregnancy causes food and acid back into the esophagus and cause heartburn and also the baby growth pushes the stomach upward which also leads to stomach burn. Here we are going to discuss on some of the home remedies for heart burn during pregnancy which can help to recover if it is normal pregnancy. If it is severe heartburn is to be considered with the medical professional advice.
Symptoms for heartburn
Heart burning in pregnancy symptoms comprises, Burning feel behind breast bone, Sour stomach and throat, upper abdomen or chest pain, bitter taste in mouth, pain in stomach, coughing fits, wheezing or hoarseness, swallowing difficulty, excess saliva protection, choking.
Home remedies for heartburn in pregnancy
we can have a handful of almonds regularly which is is rich in oil content that smoothens stool and neutralizes acid level in stomach reducing heartburn.
2. Aloe vera
Aloe vera has anti inflammatory property but it has to be taken by pregnant woman only with the proper advice from the medical practitioner
3. Coconut water
Coconut water can be taken regularly to smooth the heart burn and act as natural acid neutralizer.
4. Fennel seeds
Take 2-3 teaspoons of fennel seeds along with a cup of water boil it for about 10 minutes,strain and drink the tea. It is a herbal medicine which gives relief but consumption in a very little amount is recommended.
5. Apple Cider vinegar
Take one tablespoon apple cider vinegar mix it with 8 oz of water and drink,which smoothes stomach lining and neutralizing acids forming foods. It helps digestive system by stimulating stomach acids and bicarbonate recreated from pancreas.
Papaya contains enzymes that soothes stomach providing healthy acidic environment nd better digestive system.It is better to have riped papaya or any chewing or tablets of papaya extract with a proper advice from a medical practioner.
Ginger can be taken as raw or cooked. We can make tea or use it along with our regular tea, add it in our regular food, liquify and have ginger which act as a natural antacid for heartburn.
8. Milk with Honey
Have a glass of warm milk along with 1 tablespoon of honey stir it well drink it every day. Milk and honey also have soothing effect on stomach and helps in better digestion.
9 .Slippery Elm
Steep two tablespoon of powdered slippery elm with two cups of boiling water and leave it for 5 minutes add some honey for taste and drink it. The drink helps in absorbing excess acid to reduce acidic indigestion and reduce inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract. We can also use slippery elm lozenges.
10. Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice(DGL)
DGL is a medicinal herb removed from licorice and it also contains anti inflammatory to reduce heartburn.We can also take it in a chewing gum or tablet form everyday.
11. Foods to reduce heartburn
Foods that are recommended are Low fat milk or other dairy products,ice creams, chewing basil leaves, ginger in any form, Apple, Fermented foods and drinks, Honey, chewing gum, whole grain food, pineapple and papaya(after doctors advice), drink more water and papaya.
12. Foods to avoid for heartburn during pregnancy
Some foods that causes heartburn are to be avoided during pregnancy namely, spicy, oily, acidic foods, beverages, carbonated drinks, caffeine, citrus fruits, Tomatoes, onion, mustard, mint products, vinegar, fried, fatty, greasy or fast foods, processed meats.
13. Tips to be followed to avoid heartburn
- Avoid eating foods that cause acidity,some of them are discussed earlier.
- While sleeping, try to keep the head and shoulder high above the feet to help in better digestion.
- Have a habit of taking little food often and avoid eating more food at once, which may lead to improper digestion and acidic formation in stomach.
- It is better to have 2 hours time span between eating and sleeping or otherwise sleeping on left side will help avoid acidity.
- Not to wear tight clothes that pressurise on abdomen and belly.
- Always drink atleast 8-10 glasses of water to keep hydrated,but not in the meal time to avoid pressure on lower esophagus sphincter.
- Ginger tea or Fennel tea after meal will help in better digestion.
- Slow and steady eating habit would also help.
- Use chewing gum after meals which increase saliva and also contains bicarbonate to neutralize the acid in stomach.
- Take some plain or low fat yoghurt after meal to neutralise the acid in esophagus and reduce burning feel.
- With the proper guidance from the medical practitioner have antacid or H2 blockers or proton pump inhibitors.
- Eat an apple everyday.
- Do not consume cigarette,alcohols or passive smoking,
- use less amount of baking soda in diet and avoid medicines that has aspirin, salicylate, acetylsalicylic acid.
- Bend in knees than using waist.
- Keep your weight controlled following BMI index
- Relax and be free from stress which will help a healthy growth of the baby.
- A clove of garlic everyday or its supplement also helps in reducing heartburn.
- Herbal teas like lemon, peppermint, chamomile also works.