Ants are tiny but the problems that gives are sometimes expensive. We see ants coming in a group and drills our valuable things at home, office or even at factories. The pesticides available in market do not give permanent solution to this problem. When we use one side, the ants choose the other side. The best way to get rid of this problem is to use homemade Do it Yourself (DIY) Recipes to kill ants. We discuss some of the interesting and valuable homemade ant killers here. Kill ants with natural way.
1.Homemade Ant killer (Borax based)
To prepare Borax based ant killer, we need
The steps are:
- Boil ½ cup of water (Wen need warm warm water).
- Add 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of Borax to hot water till it dissolves completely.
- Soak cotton balls in the mixture keep it in a small plastic lid
Place it places where ants visit. Otherwise we can mix 1 part of Borax powder with 3 parts of powdered sugar. Fill it in tiny containers and place it in the ants path. Borax will kill odorous house ants, that comes for sweets and found in kitchen. Act as a homemade bait for house ants. As more ant find the bait ,the entire colony is cleared fast.
2. Homemade Ant killer (vinegar based)
We need sprayer if you wish to spray and if we wipe we use any cloth. We also need
The steps are:
Vinegar and water in equal proportion, mix it and spray.
Spray vinegar directly to kill ants or clean the surfaces. Cider vinegar and water spray also helps. This recipe used to remove odorous house ants chemical trail and confuse their way back to nest.
We can also use lemon juice with water to spray. Keep the garbage area and sanitary areas clean and also use tight containers for sweets and other attractive things.
3. Homemade Ant killer with Boric acid
Boric acid is a natural source and they poisons ants stomach and kills. We can use a laying trap using boric acid. We need,
- Few pieces of cardboard or index cards.
- A bottle of corn syrup or any type of sticky sugary substance.
- Boric acid powder.
The steps are:
- Take 2 tablespoons of Boric acid and 2 tablespoons of corn syrup mix it.
- Mix should be paste like so if it is very wet add more boric acid.
- Use spoon and spread some mix in the cardboard pieces. Each piece is a trap for ant.
Keep the traps away from food sources, kids and pets. Ants take the sugary poisonous mixture to nests to kill them as a whole. When the mixture syrup dries mix a fresh batch and spread it on traps. Continue the process, till there is no ant to search for it .
4. Homemade cornmeal – Borax traps to kill ants
Corn meals are attracted by ants but it cannot be digested by the ants. We can make a trap to kill even larvae of ant. We need,
- Corn meal
- Few drops of water
Mix borax, corn meal and few drops of water. Make a dry paste and place it in places where ants frequent.
5. Homemade remedy to take out nest of ants
Boiling and soapy water treatment
- Prepare a pot full of Boiling water and pour into the nest while it is in rolling boiling point.
- If we can find nest inside home, we can use soapy water instead of boiling water.
- We can scrap the nest with the hands using safety gloves and put them drowning into bucket full of soapy water.
- If ants problem is not over after using the water, use a stake and create fair-sized crater in the nest and fill it with baking soda about half and pour a vinegar over it.
- If you try to kill flying red ants (bucketing), first we have to cover ourselves and shovel the nest of red ants into a bucket sprinkled with baking soda to prevent them fly, drown the ants with vinegar or boiling water.
6 – 9. Homemade Natural Remedy for Carpenter Ants
Carpenter ants live around home in wooded areas. They leave a small piles of sawdust near their nest as the remaining of the wood they chewed. It occupies moist wood. We have to clear it from nest as they do not carry bait to nest.
- 1 tbsp of boric acid
- 1 tsp sugar
- Peanut butter or honey
- 4 ounces of water
Mix boric acid, sugar, peanut butter or honey with water. Put the mixture in the places were the nest is spotted. Sugar attracts ants and boric acid kills.
- Vinegar and water equal proportion
- 1 tbsp of eucalyptus or peppermint oil
- Cinnamon, garlic powder or pepper (if you need more effective)
Mix vinegar and water in 50/50 ratio, add 1 tbsp of eucalyptus or peppermint oil and if you want to make more effective use cinnamon, garlic powder or pepper else the above mix is enough. Spray the liquid mixture on ants trails
Recipe 3 : Food grade DE for pest control
- Diatomaceous earth – DE is natural and organic made from tiny skeletal of algae like plants,, Food grade DE is best for ant killer. We can even inject directly into nest or spray on the nests.
Some Other Ant killers in Home
- Sprinkle some baby powder in areas where ants frequent. Some indoor ants dislike baby powder.
- Use some vaseline inside house where ant comes.
- The stain removal product in our laundry contains boric acid so we can use this spray to kill ants.
- Natural ant repellents in our home kitchen are cinnamon, bay leaves, whole cloves, ground black pepper, red chilli powder, red pepper flakes, salt, sage, used coffee grounds, cucumber peels, essential oils like peppermint, eucalyptus and lavender oil.
- We can use hot water with salt mixed . This salt water can be used to clear nests.
- Uncooked grits can be poured to kill ant pile.
10. Homemade Fire Ant killer
Fire ants are highly dangerous and they build their mounds anywhere. The best way to getting rid of fire ants is to kill the queens, otherwise they will come back. We can use biological control and some insecticides.
Homemade remedy to kill fire ant, drenching a mound with two or three buckets of boiling water eliminates 60% of the ant colonies.
We can apply instant grits, molasses, aspartame or club soda to ant mounds. Pouring chlorine, ammonia, gasoline, or diesel fuel on mounds.