Pet animals at home become the member of a family. We really care for them. We would like to give them medications for various problems. If we go for chemical products to support the medication especially to control flea around them, there is another problem that comes, is the side effects it may cause especially if we have younger ones at home. It is risky to use chemical medications without knowing its complications. Keeping all those in mind, we suggest Homemade natural flea killers for pets (Dogs & Cats). Mostly they are made from things at home,rarely we go for markets to avail things for this homemade products.
Homemade flea spray
Recipe 1 : Vinegar Based Flea Repellent
- Apple cider vinegar or White vinger
Image courtesy: everydayroots.com
Take a clean spray bottle. Fill half with vinegar and fill equal half with water. If it is a apple cider vinegar it will not harm pets when they lick it. White vinegar is also a good optional. This spray can be a repellent. But it cannot destroy flea present already.
Recipe 2 : Lemon based Flea spray
- Couple of Lemons
Slice the lemon very thin without peeling. Place it inside pint of water and boil it. Cool the solution for a night. Pour the lemon infused solution in a sprayer bottle and spray them frequently on pets.
- 1 cup White distilled water or 1 cup Apple cider vinegar or a 50/50 blend if both.
- 1 quart fresh water
- 2-3 drops lavender or cedar oil
- A decent sized spray bottle
Mix white vinegar or apple cider vinegar or blend of both with water. Use essential oils mentioned 2-3 drops to get good smell. Fill the solution into spray bottle and spray it on the areas where flea resides. Avoid contact with eyes and nose they may irritate our pets.
SEE ALSO : Home Remedies for Fleas on Cats or Kittens
Homemade flea shampoo
Recipe 1 : Dish soap & Vineger based Shampoo
- Dawn dish soap
- White Vinegar or apple cider vinegar
Natural flea killer is dawn dish soap. We can use warm water to wet our pets and apply soap on them. After 10 min we rinse our pet and comb their fur using flea comb. For better result we can use vinegar in the water to bath. Apple cider vinegar is good choice but white vinegar can also be considered.
Recipe 2 : For Dog both
- Half a cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups of fresh water
- 1/2 cup of mild pet friendly soap or shampoo (I use this natural shampoo).
Stir half cup of squeezed lemon juice and half a cup of pet soap with 2 cups of water. Keeping this soap solution in a bottle. So we can give a bath to our pets weekly once.
Homemade flea Remedies
- We can use garlic or brewers or nutritional yeast on pet’s fur to make them feel unpleasant. Borax , 20 mule team borax used for laundry can be used all around house to repel flea inside house. Boric acid cannot be used since it has acid mixed with it.
- We can even use salt around the house. If it is not fine make it fine powder and place it in and around home.
- We can feed our pets with brewer’s yeast biscuits to make their skin smell with odor that flea don’t like. This acts as a repellent for flea.
- We can use eucalyptus branches and leaves, citrous fruits like lemon, lavender, clove, peppermint, citronella all these has odors that repel fleas. Essential oils made from those can also be used as repellent.
- We can also add 1 teaspoon Apple cider vinegar or White distilled vinegar into 1 quart of drinking water of our pets. It not only repels flea but also act as a good conditioner for our pet’s fur.
Homemade flea terminator biscuits
- Beef bouillon – 3 cubes
- 1 1/2 cups of boiling water
- Whole wheat flour – 2 cups
- Cornmeal – 1 cup
- Brewers yeast – 2/3 cup
- 2 tablespoons of garlic powder
- 2 egg yolks
Preheat oven to 375°F or 190°C. Dissolve beef bouillon cubes in water (boiling) and set aside. Grease cookie sheets. Use large bowl, add whole wheat flour, corn meal, brewers yeast, garlic powder and stir. Add yolks and slowly pour bouillon water while stirring. Make it to a firm dough. Roll dough to 1/4inch thickness on a surface. Cut it do desire biscuit shape and place it in preheated oven for 20 minutes allow it to cool after oven is turned off. Keep it to cool for whole night. Store it in a airtight container for feeding pets to terminate fleas.
Homemade Traps for Flea
- White tray
- Dish soap
Place a white tray with water and pour enough dish soap in to it. Place NightLight facing the tray. Flea generally attracted to white color and warmth. So this trap can be used in night to catch fleas.
Homemade Flea collar
- Cider oil or lavender oil – 3-5 drops
- 1-3 tbsp of water
- Bandana or our dog collar
- An eyedropper (optional)
Mix cider or lavender oil with water and dilute it. Apply the diluted solution in bandana using an eyedropper and tie it over the dog’s neck. We can apply the solution once in a week to act as better repellent of flea.
Homemade Flea Comb
- 1 freshly sliced lemon
- 1 pot of fresh water
- A comb, sponge or brush
When we have a short haired pets this comb works perfect. We can boil the water and Add the sliced lemon in it. After boiling turn off the solution make them cool for overnight and deep the pet comb with the solution. Comb it on their hair.
Homemade Flea Killer Bag
- Two 6 inch squares of breathable fabric like muslin
- A rough hand full of cedar chips
- Dried lavender buds – 1-2 teaspoons
- The peel of one lemon
Take the 6 inch squares of fabric, connect them in sides and turn inside out we get a bag out of it. Fill that bag with a rough hand full of cedar chips, 1-2 teaspoons of dried lavender buds and the peel of one lemon. Tie the mouth of the bag and we can place it under the bed or carpet where our pets resides. Refill the bag when the content has no smell or monthly once.