Squirrels are really cute animals but we cannot pet them since they like to move around fast dig the ground for shelter. When they are in low number these pests do not cause serious damage in our yard, we can control them. If their population increases it is not easy to save our yard. So we recommend starting our repellent activities when we see the first one. Repellents are mostly based on the smell and flavor, that squirrels dislike. We can also use traps to eliminate them. We can create homemade repellent using nontoxic items at home.
Homemade squirrel repellent spray
Recipe 1: Dish soap and Hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon mild dish soap
- 5-ounce bottle of hot pepper sauce
- 1 gallon of water
- A spray bottle
Image courtesy: eHow.com
In a container, pour a gallon of water, add one teaspoon of mild dish soap, and a 5-ounce bottle of hot pepper sauce into it stir well. Fill the solution in a spray bottle. Spray them in the plants and areas where squirrels feed. Test the spray whether it harms the plants or stains on the floor. Repeat the spray after rain and two or three times a day.
Recipe 2: Spicy
- Red cayenne pepper
- Chilli powder
- Black pepper powder
- Boiling water
- A Spray bottle
In boiling water add some red cayenne pepper, chili powder, and black pepper. Make a tea that looks dark in color, cools them, and fill it in a spray bottle. Spray them in areas where squirrels frequent, the irritating nature of the spray repels squirrels.
Recipe 3: Onion and cayenne pepper-based
- 2 onion chopped
- 2 Jalapeño chopped
- 11/2 quarts of water
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- A spray bottle
Boil water, add chopped onion, and jalapeño. Add one tbsp cayenne pepper. Allow the mixture to boil for 30 minutes and off the heat. Cool the mixture and strain them. Fill it in a spray bottle using a funnel. Spray them in flower beds and bird feeder areas and all places where squirrels found.
Recipe 4: Cayenne pepper & oil soap-based
- A few tablespoons of cayenne pepper
- Murphy’s oil soap
Mix Murphy’s oil soap with a few tablespoons of cayenne pepper. Pour them in the areas of flower beds and where squirrels dig for fall bulbs.
Recipe 5: Garlic, Pepper ad vinegar-based
- A spray bottle
Smash the garlic and pepper, put it in water and vinegar. Add the solution to a spray bottle, spray it in the flower beds and bird feeders to repel squirrels.
Homemade repellent bags
- Collection of human hair.
- Collection of hairs of cat and dog.
- 8-10 inch piece of cheesecloth.
We can collect hair when we groom our pets and ours when we cut or groom. Until we get enough hair to fill several bags we can collect. Place some handful of hair in the middle of the cheesecloth gather up the corners to tie them with the string and leave a loop to hang. We can hang them in plants and places where squirrels frequent.
Homemade squirrel poison
- 1/2 Teacup of cold water
- 1/2 pint hot water
- 1 tablespoon Gloss starch
- 1 Ounce of stir strychnine
- 1 Ounce of baking soda
- 1 tablespoon of glycerin
- A quarter pint of corn syrup
- 1 Teaspoon of saccharin
- 20 Quarts of oats
Blend half teacup of cold water with one tablespoon gloss starch and also pour half-pint hot water to make a paste. Add one ounce of strychnine and baking soda each. Stir them to make them even. Add one tablespoon of glycerin, a quarter pint of corn syrup, one tablespoon of saccharin, and 20 quarts of oats mix them all to make an even paste thus creating a poisons mixture that attracts squirrels. A teaspoon of the mixture is enough to kill squirrels.
- A bit like peanut butter and bread.
- Wire mesh cage trap.
Spread some peanut butter in bread. Keep it inside a wire mesh cage trap. The squirrel who comes for the bait must be left free for three to four days. Check for squirrels to release the wire that keeps the door open, the trapped squirrel can be left outdoor where it cannot cause a problem.
Dry squirrel Repellents
- We can put some coffee grounds or red pepper flakes while planting plants or around the planted plants.
- We can also sprinkle some cayenne pepper in the bird feed and mothballs also help in repelling squirrels. We can even dip a cloth in ammonia and use it against squirrels by hanging the wet cloth in nearby tree branches.
- We can sprinkle a mixture of a bottle of paprika, a bottle of cayenne, and a bottle of red pepper flakes where we see squirrels dig and tread.
- Greasy squirrel repellent, we can keep a bird feeder in a tall pole and grease the pole with cooking grease like Crisco. When squirrels climb for bird feeder it get stick with the grease on the pole, which is tough for them to clean.
- We can use our cats and dogs in repelling squirrels.
- We also can use pepper sauce and also coyote or cat urine in the base of trees or sprayed on limbs. We can also use garlic oil.
- A 5-inch metal sheet around the bottom of a tree will stop even good climber squirrels.
- We also can use hot pepper and chili people granules to sprinkle in areas of squirrels to repel them from spoiling our yard.
Squirrel Repellent products
- Shake away is the product made by fox urine that repels the squirrels making them feel that they have a fox presence in that area.
- The quantity of 20 oz is enough for 600 feet of protection.
- Squirrel B gone can be sprinkled in flower beds and in areas of a squirrel.
- They act as squirrel repellent.
- So you can use this one to get rid of the squirrels.
- Critter Ridder is squirrel repellent with a patented formula of capsaicin, pepper, and piperine.
- They can be sprayed in plants, shrubs, and areas of squirrels.
- The repellent contains essential oils that act against squirrels by smell and taste.
- It comes as granules as well as spray form, from which we can select any one of our choices.
- It has a temperature control in it which is an advanced feature that is being added as a feature in this.
- This safely keeps the squirrels inside the trap and you can keep the poison inside the trap.
- This trap will suit your budget, So you can give it a try.
I think this article will be surely useful for you and it finds so then let me know through the comments and always give your support to homeremediesforme.com.